The Tanita Body Fat Monitor/Scales use state of the art technology, BIA (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis). This method of body fat analysis is very accurate and easy to use; however, changes in hydration levels can affect readings. If your body is dehydrated, you will likely experience a higher than normal reading. If you are over-hydrated, you could experience a slightly lower reading. To obtain the greatest accuracy and repeatability from our product, Tanita suggests the following protocol.
- Take readings at least 3 hours after rising, eating a large meal, or exercising.
- Take readings once a week at the same time of day under the same conditions. (Note: Taking readings more than once per week is not beneficial since body fat does not change from day to day.)
- Do not perform a measurement after exercising. Exercise affects our bodies in a number of ways and leaves us in an "inconsistent" state, this can lead to inconsistent results. Always measure before exercising, or keep at least 8 hours between exercising and measuring.
- The electrodes need skin contact, do not measure with socks or tights on, this will lead to inaccurate results or no results at all and an ‘Error’ message.
- Average your readings for the month.
- Compare averages from month to month.
For more information about which factors influence your measurements. Please check out:
Why do my measurements fluctuate?